Sunday, June 28, 2015

San Andreas - Californiapocalypse

San Andreas movie review


In the modern generation of Hollywood popcorn flicks, the disaster movie genre has become overused in the recent years of film. I know many people think of 'The Day After Tomorrow' and '2012' just by looking at the title itself, but San Andreas, in my opinion, is more than that. It is a film which is a viably entertaining series of events that leaps from one catastrophe to the absolute destruction of San Francisco. If you ever wanted to witness the San Francisco peninsula get destroyed in an awesome manner, then this is the right film to see it!


As a moviegoer, I usually check the good/bad reviews of a recently-released film to make sure that it is worth watching, but despite seeing the mediocre RT rating of San Andreas, I still went to the cinema and watched it. I was awestruck by the brilliant action and great depiction of the disaster that an earthquake is, followed by a tsunami in this case. It was all unbelievable!



The film is earning a lot and a lot of people turning up to watch this one, but the reviews by critics and on online websites have come down hard on this one for the lack of great or proper plot or story, but to be fair, watching it on the big screen, in 3D, I was so lost in everything that I hardly thought there was anything negative at all to complain about. I know it's just a film after all, but just merely the thought of such disasters and what everyone goes through, the running around to here and there delivers chills to the bone.

Yes, The Rock says every single clichéd action movie line I can remember. And yes, every one is hilariously predictable. Yes, the hot girl is wet and her cleavage is showing for most of the movie. Yes, every shot is crammed with mind-numbing amounts of CGI. Normally that bothers me, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying the theatrics in the film.


Even though San Andreas is an exact copy of '2012' in terms of the premise and plot (the main hero undergoing a divorce with the wife, wife starts relationship with other guy, main hero saves family from disaster, other guy gets killed by <whatever>, family is safe from harm, and then main hero reconciles with family), it succeeded in putting me on the edge of my seat from beginning to end. All in all, this film deserves all the praise it gets, and I think it is an honourable salute to anyone and everyone involved in rescue and disaster relief. The entertainment provided, does not shroud the seriousness also supplied, and I lost track of how many times I said "Oh my God!" during this amazing cinematic spectacle! 6/10 is the score San Andreas deserves, but not the one it needs right now *IMO*.



No comments:

Post a Comment