Friday, July 10, 2015

Minions - 90 Minutes of Pure Gibberish

Minions movie review


Ever since I watched the 1st Despicable Me film, the only thing that filled my head after walking out of the theatre were the cute, little munchkins called 'Minions'. The way they walked, talked, and thought had audiences laughing uncontrollably, especially when you think about how they came to be was an interesting idea to grasp. But after watching  the teaser trailer of 'Minions', I began to grow dull of the mostly-at-times incomprehensible gibberish the yellow beasts sputtered to themselves and others. I've never written a bad review on my blog before, but I definitely felt this was a slight disappointment.

To be frank, I wasn't as excited to see 'Minions' on the big screen at first, but I loved the Despicable Me films. I did have some doubts at first, but after seeing the movie I thought it was a mediocre spin-off of the Despicable Me franchise. To begin with the positive aspects of the film, it began with a flash through time of how the Minions have had different evil leaders in several different eras and that turned out interesting for me. They themselves had some hilarious moments which helped out the film by a lot, and the human characters featured in the film had some humorous dialogue and great physical comedy which otherwise made it a generic kid's flick. 


The animation looked gorgeous; each character is nicely detailed and colored and the backgrounds look astonishing in their own ways. In addition, the character models look very unique and distinguishable, with no one model looking similar to another. The movie had some historical accuracies as well, such as when the Minions that where left in Antarctica make it to Sydney in 1968, and the Opera House is still under construction. The Opera House wasn't complete until 1973, making the movie accurate and well researched.


Unfortunately, the movie wasn't perfect. One of the biggest problems with this movie was the main villain Scarlet Overkill. Now don't get me wrong, I thought the character and her motivations were marvelous, I just felt that her personality wasn't as fulfilling and exciting as the trailers told us. While Sandra Bullock did a great job at voicing her, she occasionally sounded bored and uninterested. I wouldn't have actually minded if her husband, Herb, was the main villain, as he felt cool and energetic throughout the entire movie. Another thing I didn't like was how under-utilised the Nelson family was. They were funny and matched the tone of the movie perfectly, but their only purpose was to give Kevin, Stuart and Bob a ride to Villain-Con. What made it worse was that the father, Mr. Nelson, was voiced by Michael Keaton, one of the most talented people in this movie, and he felt completely wasted in the film.


I really like how the script retains the overall crazy attitude of the minions. All that goofy dialogue are really funny indeed, that it will crack your laugh as soon as the movie picks up its narration. The thing is many of the film's comedy has been badly spoiled by those many trailers dated from as early as last December, and the funny stuff that's not in the trailers couldn't really top those which are. To finish this review off, 'Minions' will be rated a meager score of 5/10!


No comments:

Post a Comment